Knock Bridge repairs
We have been made aware that our bridge at Knock will be closed for vehicles on Tuesday 18th April until the end of June to allow for repair works. Knock Bridge is a 13 metre, single span masonry arch dating from the 18th Century and is a Category B Listed Building.
Currently, the programme is as follows:
- Tuesday 18th April – Knock Bridge closed to traffic until completion of repairs. *Please see note below regarding pedestrian access.
- Tuesday 18th April until late May – repairs carried out to the bridge’s masonry. We will endeavour to open the bridge between phases of work if safe to do so. If we are able to open the bridge between phases it will be at either 3t or 7.5t restriction. As work progresses we will keep this page updated to reflect any anticipated openings to traffic.
- Late May until Mid-June – Ties installed by specialist contractor.
- Late June – Road surfacing reinstated.
- End of June – Knock Bridge reopened to traffic at previous 33t capacity.
Pedestrians will be accommodated whenever it is safe to do so throughout the works. Pedestrian access will be managed in the same way as during the previous bridge closure in February. Any unsafe-to-cross periods will be kept to a minimum and we do not anticipate any long periods when the bridge cannot be crossed at any point during the works.
The page on the Council’s website concerning the closure is at https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/knock-bridge-b8035-mull which will be updated weekly or more frequently if required.
For any cars being parked either side of the bridge it would be appreciated if consideration is given to other vehicles so as to not box anyone in.
Due to additional work required to the arch barrel, it is very unlikely that the bridge will be able to be safely opened to vehicles between phases or at all prior to completion of the strengthening works. The completion of the repair work is still currently anticipated to be 17th June.‹‹ Back to all news items